Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Death Is A Sure Thing

Putting flowers on Scott's resting place
 I'm not thinking about death today because I think my time is just around the corner or that I am wanting to die any time soon.   I'm just thinking about death today because other's are dying and I am having to face that fact. 


The stone for Jim & Paula Hardy
  The Holy Book promises us days until we are satisfied with life....I'm not there yet....I'm not satisfied with my life or my number of days yet.      But because I am 72 years old, it is something I must consider and ponder.
On Father's Day at COTM, they sung a song that I loved and immediately turned to Ken and said that is the song I want at my 'she is gone' service.  I would love it if they sung it exactly like they sung it that Sunday, with fiddles, up-beat and emphatically.  I could picture several fiddles and people getting up and dancing around.   No, I am not morose, it just seems victorious and appropriate.


My older sister:  Virginia Merle Montgomery
  The course says:  "It don't matter where you bury me, I'll be home and I'll be free.  It don't matter where I lay, All my tears be washed away."
Now the interesting thing is that last year when Ken and I set up a living trust and a will, I was the one who came up with the decision (and Ken followed my choice) of when we die, donating our bodies to medical science.   That shocked the lawyer working with us and it seems to shock our children.   But I came up with that decision because I despise the financial advantage that those in the death business take on grieving loved ones.   Why spend thousands of dollars preserving a body or cremating the shell or digging water proof vaults, etc.  Eight thousand is considered a modest cost these days to handle a dead body. Grieving people too often spend much more.   http://www.anatomicgift.com/
That just is not right.  One could cruise the world with that much money...or seed a church in a heathen country or leave that money for your children and grandchildren.. 
It seems the group Jars Of Clay may have first sung this as that is what I could find on the Internet.  But I liked COTM version much better.

When I go, don't cry for me
In my Father's arms I'll be
The wounds this world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I'll be whole.
Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus' face
And I will not be ashamed
For my Savior knows my name.
It don't matter where you bury me,
I'll be home and I'll be free.
It don't matter where I lay,
All my tears be washed away.
Gold and silver blind the eye
Temporary riches life
Come and eat from heaven's store
Come and drink, and thirst no more.
So weep not for me my friends,
When my time below does end
For my life belongs to Him
Who will raise the dead again.
http://youtu.be/nHzcHW-xNC8
http://nana-splace.blogspot.com/search/label/O%27Neal

Standing by Millie's resting place
“You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,  or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,  be empty and turn your back. Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.”
In honor of  Charlie Duty

Maybe I am thinking about death today because Jennifer's (Joel's wife) Dad passed away last week.  And Friday we will drive to Dallas for the memorial service.   Everyone deals with death and loss in different ways.  It always hurts and there is always a deep loss.  It helps a lot when we know that loved one is with Jesus.  And Jennifer had that assurance before he passed. 



And I just wanted to document that when I leave this world, it is OK to donate my body to the advancement of medical science.  It can just be a part of my legacy--a gift I can give to help another sick or diseased person who comes along -- it is a way for new doctors to learn and do a better job in the future.  I won't be there,  I'LL BE HOME AND I'LL BE FREE.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Kirk is planning to donate his body to science as well and I'm almost at that conclusion too. So many better things to do with the money and the "shell". xoxo

    ReplyDelete