Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day From A Call Center

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

This is a day we remember the fallen soldiers who faught for our freedom as well as those still fighting today. This is a day to be grateful for the freedoms and blessings that God has so blessed upon us.  And sadly, it is that freedom that our nation and government are slowly giving up. 
I am celebrating today in a different fashion - by working at an Interpreter Call Center earning time and half pay -- not shabby.  Does that mean I am still fighting for my freedom?  Well yes, because my real freedom comes within my spirit and my soul.  At the moment, I have no need for picnics,  lake trips, no bbq today and no fireworks to increase my state of happiness.   (However, the neighborhood will do their share of fireworks and I will be home by dark so I'll not totally miss out.  And I've eaten bbq in the last week.  I enjoyed a buffalo burger before I came to work,  as well as a dip in the hot tub with hubby.......)
And now, I am sitting here on the job interpreting confidential calls by happy July 4th weekend well-wishers and/or discussions of vacation plans and calls for Chinese delivery or thin crust Pizza with ham, mushrooms, garlic and sausage .   This is another form of the freedoms we have which we should not take lightly.  Video Phones for the Deaf so that they have equality.  Video phones which were given by individuals with the awareness of a need and the imagination to invent such technology so that the Deaf have power to grow and change their world.  Technology has opened a world of freedom to this group.
Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free.   Dwight D. Eisenhower
HE WHO THE SON SETS FREE IS FREE INDEED.

No comments:

Post a Comment