Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Cooking Day

My job for this morning was cancelled so I decided to take advantage and do some 'stay at home wife' cooking. With the children all gone, I don't cook nearly as often.  So of course, I wanted to use Sommer's new Blog.   However, I had also wanted to make Laura's Oat Nutty pancakes for a while and decided to make them for breakfast.   Usually, Ken and I drink a protein shake for breakfast but today was a special 'good duty wife' day.
The pancakes were probably the best I have ever tasted. I could have eaten them straight from the pan without any butter or maple syrup.

Next, I had the ingredients for Sommer's mini meatloaf and mashed cauliflower so that was to be our late lunch.  My next interpreting job was not until 3:30 pm.  So I set off to make lunch and extra freeze ahead for later mini-meatloafs.   Here is the proof, I actually still cook once in a while. 
There is always something that I seem to alter when I cook.   First of all, I missed the step of putting all the veggies in the food processer to the consistency of applesauce.  Did not see it until they were already mixed.   Then I did not have the chili sauce, so substituted catsup.  It was fine, and smelled wonderful baking in the oven. 
Ken could not guess what the mashed cauliflower was (guessed turnips) but he loved it.   I've made it before just because it has far less calories.
  
So here you have it, a Nana Cooking day and having fun learning from the younger generation.  The next time, I'm going to do the cheese grits and the 'dead' banana bread.
As a side thought, today for some reason seems to be a potential teary-eyed day.  First Ken was reading to me an e-mail story about a friend named Jim who as age and time went by "I" kept putting off getting in touch with, until it was too late and "I" got the notice that Jim died.  He choked up reading it to me.
Then I was reading Laura's blog about her trip to India.  I was identifying with Sommer's trips to India I guess, but I did not know you could cry reading a food blog.  You will have to check it out.  I'll post the link for the items I made on this cooking day as well as Indian Curry. 
http://darkredcrema.com/2010/03/julie-sahnis-gosht-kari-meat-curry-an-indian-summer/
http://aspicyperspective.blogspot.com/2010/02/dinners-beauty-treatment.html
http://darkredcrema.com/2010/02/whole-grain-oat-nut-pancakes/
And dear friends and family, if you have not been checking out A Spicy Perspective, you must read it and try the recipies.  They are mostly easy enough for anyone to prepare and the reading is great.  We have another budding writer/producer stimming from the Papa Montgomery blood-line.   Sign up as a followerer and you will get the links each time she post something new.  Again, it is the http://aspicyperspective.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. So ... when are you gonna fix lunch for ME? :)

    Pancakes beats protein shake any day.

    Kevin S.

    ReplyDelete